Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: New lick to learn...

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Flarobstix:
    first of all, i'm just playin'. Second of all, I believe learning a lick or two is healthy. However, most of us need licks and we believe that improvisation is re-organizing your licks. That's why I personally don't think any of todays modern fusion players are real improvisors.
    They have spent years learning licks inside out placing them in different time signatures and trying to place them musically. There's nothing wrong with that. Thats the way most musicians approach it.
    Well, I'm not a real improvisor. I think Paul Motian, Jack Dejohnette, Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarret, Bill Stewart, Peter Erskine, and a few others are.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You forgot Al Foster.

  2. #32
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Absolutely.

    I echo a sentiment put forth by another HODhb member;-) a long time ago [approx couple/few yrs], that Weckl is one of the ultimate licks drummers, & i agree; but that is in no way an "insult" at all...he has taken the concept of "licks" & elevated it to a very lofty & musical status, IMHO. Yet he can still improv, in his own idelible way, w the best of them. His use of his own "licks" transcends the notion of himslef using licks...that is, he uses licks in a very unique AWA musical fashion which enhances the accompaniment, to the point where they're not nec just "licks" anymore per se, but rather incredibly improv'd [beyond "licks"]...OK, whatever, i hope you get my drift...

    "Life is like an ice-cream cone [or "Wecksicle"]...you have to learn to lick it..." [img]wink.gif[/img] [There's nothing "funny" to be read into that, b4 it gets to that...]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 03, 2005 12:27 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

  3. #33
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Allan Holdsworth:
    "The whole concept of this lick thing is kind of offensive to me, because I don't think that's what it's about. A lick to me emphasizes the fact that it's something that you've played before, which is something that i really don't want to do, even though I do it, because when you run out of ideas, and you're lost and you're stuck, my brain will only do so much. Then i go, "Oh geez, I'm not playing that shit again am I?"

    But really, the whole idea of music is exactly the opposite of that. You have to practice things that will allow you to have control, I suppose eventually. The idea is to practice so you have enough control over the instrument to actually be able to play what you can hear, and then that way you really are truly connected to the instrument.

    To play licks means that you sat down and figured out a few licks and are trying to find a place to put them all."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, Weckl is obviously very licky. I think the ultimate licks drummer would be one you couldn't tell was using licks.

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buddy Rich was very much a licks drummer, but, he used them to enhance his incredibly musical phrasing, not as the phrasing itself. Listen to enough Buddy and his trademark licks become very recognizable. Yet, I can say that, IMHO, he's never played an inappropriate note. Everything he does seems perfect under the circumstances. Gadd is like that too. He doesn't play with the speed or power of Buddy, but his use of standard rudiments applied to the kit are some of the most interesting licks ever played.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 31, 2005 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Henry II ]</font>

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I agree about Gadd. Last night I wrote out the original version of Crazy Army (by Ed Lemley) that Gadd has turned into a drum set classic solo, so I could get a grasp of where his thing came from. I'm teaching it to a lot of my students so they can get some rudiments down while learning some of SG's funky phrasing.

    Buddy was a great, great drummer. One of a kind.

  7. #37
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    Speaking of licks...

    Everyone knows John "J.R." Robinson's lick on Steve Winwood's Higher Love, right? That's a killer lick.

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by cjbdrm:
    Speaking of licks...

    Everyone knows John "J.R." Robinson's lick on Steve Winwood's Higher Love, right? That's a killer lick.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just listened to the whole song. Great groove and tasty licks, but I don't know where the killer lick is. [img]confused.gif[/img]

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A big lick :

    "When A Man Love A Woman" by Michael Bolton, Jeff on drums !!!
    INCREDIBLE !!!

    Yeah.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Rodge:
    A big lick :

    "When A Man Love A Woman" by Michael Bolton, Jeff on drums !!!
    INCREDIBLE !!!

    Yeah.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Will be hard to listen to Michael Bolton but i'll give a try [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •